Confession time.

I, Abbey Hammond, am an obsessive list-maker.

I love lists. They make me feel so organized. I have so many thoughts bouncing around in the different compartments in my brain--the "to-do" compartment, the "already thinking about packing for my next trip" compartment, the ever-present "CHRISTMAS!" compartment--but when I get them on paper, all lined up with the left margin, I feel... organized. Like I won't forget anything. I can look at the things on my list and isolate one to make sure I get it done. Not to mention the happy feeling I get when I cross something off the list. (It doesn't always get that far.)

And I don't just make normal lists, mind you. Grocery lists, to-do lists, those are just the beginning. I have a to-read list, a to-watch list, a to-buy-for-Christmas list, a to-ask-for-for-Christmas list (When did natural peanut butter and muffin cups become so important to me?), a to-do-immediately list, a to-do-sometime-in-the-near-future list, a people-to-visit list, even a packing list for my mom and sister when they come visit me... in seven months. You might say I'm out of control. I say I'm happy that way. :)

Living in this context overseas, I've met a lot of women who have years of overseas living experience, and I've learned a lot from them--from some, how I want to be one day; from others, characteristics that life here has developed in them that I'd like to avoid. So I made--you guessed it--a list. A list of traits I'd like to develop. A list of ways I want to be less like me and more like Him. Spirit-filled. Patient. Gracious. Humble. Forgiving. Warm. Hard-working. Prayerful (Is that a word?). Honest. Gentle. Kind. Loving. Hospitable. Joyful. Filled with His Word. That's just the beginning.

As I was walking the other day, my list came to mind. I thought about how far I have to go. I wasn't necessarily beating myself up, just... thinking. About how much work I needed to do to be able to cross even one thing off the list.

And then something else came to mind. Precious words from The Word.

"And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ*." Phil. 1:6

He began this work in me years ago. And He has continued the work. I'm a completely different person than I was even just a year ago. He started the work, and He will finish it--I've already seen evidence of that. List or no list. :)

"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence..." 2 Peter 1:3



* On an unrelated note, every time I write "Christ", I accidentally write "Christmas." Both are pretty great.

4 comments:

Kels said...

ABBEY I LOVE YOU! And that passage in 2 Peter is one of my lifeline/favourites/must-repeat-often verses. I was reading it again this morning, actually, and re-memorizing it.
I like lists, too. I love that we like them together.

Marian Frizzell said...

I love lists. Sometimes I put things on my To Do list that I've already done just so I can enjoy crossing them off. Now lists are a necessity, because I can't remember ANYTHING.

Alex said...

I LOVE MY SISTER! but seriously, i love you bunches. put THAT on your list.

Erica said...

Phil. 1:6 is one of my favorite and most all-time encouraging verses. Remind me sometime to tell you about the 3 realms in which I think it applies (no time to write about it now....) Love you and love that you make lists. I make them too, mostly when I can't sleep--and not as thoroughly as you. :)

Post a Comment