Pray.

Author: Abbey /

"Abbey, please pray for us. We have enough food left for one more day, and after that, I don't know what we'll do."

My stomach growls as if on cue, a painful reminder of the vast difference in our circumstances--as I'm ending a voluntary fast, she's afraid her family won't have food to eat.

I'm on the phone with my dear friend Ate (Ah-tay) as I wait for my taxi. As I end the conversation and get in the car, I can't help but calculate how much food they could buy with my cab fare.

Ate turns 32 today. She and her family are one of very few believing Roma families.

Ate making cookies for a community outreach

Ate is my Roma sister... although it's probably more appropriate to call her my Roma mother. She's always telling me I need to dress more warmly and eat more. During the holidays, she made sure I came to her house for each one (Macedonian and American) because she was afraid I'd be lonely.

Ate, Nedzo, Denis, and Marvin

Ate is a character. She is always honest, and she expects everyone around her to be honest, too. She's smart. She reads well and understands quit a lot of English. She is the wife of Nedzo (Nay-joe) and mother of five kids--Melek, Monika, Denis, Amela, and Marvin. Her oldest is 13.

Precious Melek and Monika

Ate has had a rough few years. Within the past two years, her infant son died, her house burned down, and she had breast cancer (which she was miraculously healed from, praise Him). Through all this, she has clung to the Lord. She is passionate about learning more about Him. Two weekly Bible studies are held at her house.

Bible study. That's Amela in the middle.

Ate needs prayer. She is having several serious health issues right now. On top of that, her husband, Nedzo, is unable to find work. He works in construction, and construction jobs are extremely difficult to find in the winter.

Brothers--Denis and Marvin

Since that phone call, the Father has graciously provided for them day by day. As He taught the Israelites while they were wandering in the wilderness, He is teaching them to trust in Him daily for provision.

And I'm humbled by their faith.

"God will provide," they say. Every time I talk to them.

Ate and her family are so precious to me. They are my Roma family. No one here has made me feel as loved as they have. Please, please pray.

Pray:

  • for daily food for the entire seven-member family.
  • for work for Nedzo.
  • for healing for Ate.
  • for increased faith for all of them--and for me.
  • that I will know how to minister to them.
Thank you for praying. Please remember that, if you are a believer, these are your brothers and sisters. Just as you would plead before Him if your blood family were struggling and seriously ill, plead before Him for them, your family through His blood.

Love,
Abbey

2 comments:

Kels said...

Oh Abbey, most definitely praying right now for this precious family, and for you. Thank you for the call to intercessory prayer for our international family.

Anonymous said...

Talk about putting faces on need ... wow, what a precious family ... thank you. Praying for them.

Post a Comment