"We grieve harder because we love harder."

That's what Andy said in the car on the way home from the hospital for the last time. And it's so true. I told Daddy on his last day with us that he was the most loved man on the face of the planet. He really was.

The biggest blessing in all of this is that we have no regrets, and I know my dad didn't, either. In the end, he couldn't speak to us. We didn't get the big, heart-wrenching goodbye they show in the movies. But we didn't need one. Everything he would have said to us, or anything we would have said to him, we've said every day of our lives. I have known every day of my life that my daddy would do anything for me, and he always knew from words and actions that I adored him. We told each other "I love you" ten times a day, at least. He was my favorite man in the world. Twenty-three years wasn't enough time with him, but then, no amount of time would have been enough. I treasure every day I spent with him. And I treasure knowing that he is finally pain-free, and that I'll see him again. He ran the race, and he finished well.

So yes, I grieve hard. I miss everything about my daddy because I love everything about my daddy. His eyes. His voice. His silliness. His wisdom and discernment. His way of nicknaming people. His incredible love for my mom. His way of making friends with anyone he meets. But this grief is different--because I know where he is, and I know Who he's with, and I know I'll see him again. And it's not because he was a good person or did more good things than bad--it's because of the saving blood of Jesus Christ that made a way for him to have peace with God.

I miss him just like I'd miss any of my family members if I knew I probably wouldn't see them for years. But NOT because I'll never see him again. Because I will.

Thank you so much for all your prayers for my dad's healing. Praise God, he's finally been perfectly healed.

Love,
Abbey

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such precious and honoring words, Abbey! Be blessed & comforted. You are a treasure!

Marian Frizzell said...

I am so proud to be a friend of your family in this moment. I know that our Lord was just beaming yesterday when He received your dad home, and I know that He will be constantly with you, comforting and protecting, during this time. I love you. You are being held before the Lord by so many right now, including me.

ginna said...

What a beautiful heart you have Abbey.

I know that through affliction, the Lord uses to refine us and make us more like himself. May he use this to make you even more beautiful! How great is our Lord that even in something so hard, we know that what he does is good. What great comfort he is for those who truly know his goodness!
I love you, my sister.
-Ginna

Anonymous said...

Abbey, what a beautiful and accurate tribute to give to your Daddy. Praying for you CONSTANTLY. You are a women of integrity, my friend,and the epitome of 1 Peter 1:3-8, "...so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." Your faith is being proved genuine and as one of my favorite authors, Robert Benson said, "We do not demonstrate our faith when we live in the light, we show our faith when we live in the dark." You are displaying His glory excellently, my friend. I love you SO.MUCH.
((((((((((HUUUUGG)))))))))))))))

KK said...

love you. mallory caton and I are together right now and we're praying for you and your family.

Post a Comment