Life Lately

Author: Abbey /

I am way overdue for an update! I've been much busier now that I'm working, and it's been a little tricky getting back into a routine. I'm so thankful that the one thing they repeated over and over at orientation was that nothing--not even our ministry--is as important as remaining in Him. I've definitely had days when I've felt rushed in my time with Him so I can get the day started, and I'll remember sweet Elbert's voice saying, "Be with Him."

So, you ask, what have I been so busy with?

Monday and Thursday nights, I teach an English conversation class. Because we're registered as a humanitarian organization, my English class has to feel like an actual classroom--I can't openly teach the Bible. That was an issue for me at first. After all, what's the point of helping people if they don't know the Reason behind it? But He has been SO good. In every class, without fail, something will "come up" (Holy Spirit's guidance, what what!) that perfectly and naturally leads to Him. Please pray that He will continue to show me these opportunities and that I will be bold enough to take them!

Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, I work at a Roma-run education center here in Skopje, Sumnal. No one there is a believer. Please pray that I'll grow closer to the people who work there and the people who attend classes there, so they'll invite me into their homes.

I've gotten to do some other things lately, too, like...

Celebrate International Roma Day. It's April 8 of every year. Sumnal put on a play about the history of the Roma to raise money for their center.

Stanche, Sumnal's vice president, giving the opening speech.
Not quite sure how Michael Jackson relates to Roma history, but this guy dancing to Billy Jean was definitely the hit of the night.





In true Roma fashion, the night ended with everyone on stage and in the audience dancing an oro.

Show some visitors around Skopje. I have officially fallen in love with Macedonia! This city is even better in the spring. The smog has lifted, and blue skies are now the norm! Woohoo! That must be why the people are so much friendlier now!

Look closely--Do you see the snow-capped mountains in the background?
Visit friends and meet new co-workers in Prilep. We were invited to the nearby city to have some worship in English (YAY!) and eat at a Thai restaurant! It was such a blessing!

The Macedonian J-girls. Plus two. :)


An awesome giant elephant-shaped boulder in Prilep. 
I love this mountain in Prilep. It definitely looks like it's from Bible times. And, hey, it is!

Prilep

See my first Macedonian sunset. Sunsets (and wind, and clouds, and sunshine) are my absolute favorite things in the world. It's been too smoggy here to ever see one, though! So I was especially grateful for this one last week.




Go to Thessaloniki. Or Thessalonica, as you'd probably call it. I am constantly amazed that I get to live in this part of the world, where so much of His Story was written, for my job. I met an incredible worker there who, even after 15 years as an M, is still so excited and passionate about reaching the Greek people. I want to be like that.
Fun fact about Greece: They hate Macedonia. And Macedonia hates them. In fact, they refuse to call this country Macedonia--they call the entire country Skopje. This all has to do with land disputes. As soon as we crossed the border into Greece, there was a sign that read, "Welcome to Macedonia." Hilarious!

Ancient Roman arch in front, modern Thessaloniki in back.
Take some Roma friends to a Christian ballet. Suzana and Meride are my closest Roma friends. My teammate, Gef, and I took them to see Ballet Magnificat last night. I thought it was great! They did a modern take on the story of the prodigal son, and I loved that you didn't have to know English to know what was going on. They have an incredible ministry. Please pray that what we saw will give us more opportunities to share with this precious family.

Meride and me. She looks like that in all her pictures. Makes me laugh.

Gef and Suzana. These ladies mean so much to me!


So that was a lot of information, but thanks for reading. :) I hope you have a wonderful Easter celebrating the One who did the impossible.

"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but He has risen..."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I love putting faces with names!! Oh, and I love you!! :)

Post a Comment