I'm back in Skopje! Well, I've been here for a week now, but it's been a busy week, and I haven't had time to update.
Malta is gorgeous! Want proof? I submit to you:
| Exhibit A |
| Exhibit B |
Every day, we had worship (in English!) and meetings for a few hours. Our last day, we had a ministry afternoon. People went all throughout Malta to prayer walk and evangelize, and I went with a team to paint a few rooms in the church there. I even got to see a little bit of what Paul experienced when he was there 2,000 years ago, because on my last day there, there was a hurricane! Sadly, this prevented me from seeing the prettiest city on the island. :( Buuut at least I love storms. :)
Oh, and as far as I know, no one was hurt. That's good.
So the Skopje airport is tiny. I mean TINY. It only has two gates. And the entire building would fit inside a Walmart. (Not even a Supercenter.) So, as you can imagine, it only has a few flights each day. So because of that, my teammate Cindy and I had a 13-hour layover on the way home from Malta. Feel sorry for me? Don't. Because the layover was in VIENNA. And Vienna is amazing!
As soon as we arrived, we collected our luggage and checked in for our evening flight so we could re-check the bags. Then, we took an incredibly expensive train into the city center and bought tickets for a hop-on hop-off bus tour. But before we went to the bus stop, we met Denzel, a hotel concierge, who recommended a traditional Austrian restaurant for us. I had chicken goulash. And may I just say that the waiters at the restaurant wore lederhosen? There are no words for how happy that made me.
| Yum! |
And then, on our way to the bus stop, I told Cindy that we needed to turn left when we saw St. Stephan's Cathedral on the right. And then WHOA. There was St. Stephan's Cathedral. It was the most breath-taking thing I've ever seen in real life. Here's a picture, but man. Wish you could see how big it is!
So then we hopped on the bus... and never hopped off. It was too cold! And we had to carry our carry-on luggage because the train station's lockers were being renovated or something. But it was a great way to see the city. I finished reading Vienna Prelude two days before the flight, so it was neat to see the Musikverein, St. Stephan's, the Imperial Hotel, and other buildings mentioned in the book.
As I'm getting toward the end of my language study time, I'm getting ready to be hard at work in a few weeks. So this was a nice little trip before things get crazy!
3 comments:
LEDERHOSEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE that! And you! Are there ... pictures? If so, they should be Exhibit C. Just sayin'.
Abbey, you look so beautiful in Malta. :) Is that how Micah would say it? ;) SO happy you got to go there! :)
Okay: 1. Jealous. 2. Everything about this post makes me happy for you. 3. You are looking beautiful in the chicken goulash picture. 4. Where is the picture of the lederhosen? 5. Vienna Prelude? THIS is why we're friends. I love you!
Post a Comment