Hi, friends! It's been a while since I updated my blog, so let me catch you up on what's been happening in Abbey's world. :)
Last week was contingency training. It was definitely the most exciting week so far! They have an outside company come in to train us on what to do in case of kidnappings, interrogations, or hostage situations. I'm not supposed to share the details, but let's just say that the whole time I felt like I was in an episode of 24 (haha), and I feel much more prepared for those kinds of situations than I was before.
I got my ESL certification! I was actually an ESL major in college, but they didn't provide certification for us. It usually costs upwards of $1,000, but the awesome people here provide a two-day course for free. Pretty exciting.
We also got my dad's cancer test results. Unfortunately, it wasn't the news we wanted. He's had prostate cancer for a few years now with a lot of ups and downs. He's had severe back pain for a few weeks, and last week we found out that it's because the cancer has spread to his ribs. He also has "hot spots" (which are most likely cancer) in his shoulder blades, sternum, and skull. Since they are in the bone, there really aren't many treatment options available. Next week, they'll begin radiation and later chemotherapy to try to shrink the tumors to ease his pain a little and to give him more time. They've given him anywhere from a few months to 2-3 years to live. As you can imagine, this news has been really hard on my family. I'd be so grateful for prayers for his healing and for peace for my whole family as I prepare to leave. I have no question of God's ability to heal my dad. In fact, my mom had extremely aggressive breast cancer when I was six and was given two years to live, and she was completely healed. I'm praying that He does the same thing with my dad, but I'm especially praying for peace no matter the outcome. In all these things, God has reminded me of two things:
1. God can heal my dad. Again, he did it with my mom! Jer. 32:17: "... Nothing is too hard for You."
2. God always does what's best for His children. Rom. 8:28-29: "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son..."
I had a quote written in the margin of my Bible next to that passage in Romans. It's by John Piper, and it simply says, "Life is hard. God is sovereign. God is good." I'd really appreciate your prayers for my dad and my family, that we'll have peace with all this going on as I'm preparing to leave.
Lately
Author: Abbey /
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I am praying sweet Abbey! :)
you are in my prayers. A lot. Wish I could give you a huge hug.
i'm praying for your family! love you!
Definitely praying. God healed my Grandfather of THREE different cancers he had from age 60-75. He is an amazing God!
Abbey, you always, ALWAYS, point me to the Father and His sovereignty. I'm praying for you, friend. Twyla (Anonymous :)
Abbey!!! So sorry it's taken me a while to comment on your blog. I just discovered it a few days ago and had to read everything in like 2 days! Anywho, there are 2 things to update you on that may or may not be all your fault. You decide:
1. I actually ran over a mile the other day for the first time in a while, and my legs HURT!! (Your fault for leaving? Possibly.)
2. I'm officially ADDICTED to the Percy Jackson series! I just finished the first book and bought the second book yesterday. I'm already on chapter 5. Your fault? Definitely!! :)
Love you sweet Abbey! Don't forget us little people stuck in Memphis. hehe
Post a Comment