Becoming a grownup. And by grownup, I mean coffee drinker.

Author: Abbey /

Something you probably don't know about Macedonia (if you know anything about Macedonia): Coffee is a huge part of their culture. They drink it all the time. It's not uncommon to have three cups of coffee when you visit a friend--a welcome coffee, a conversation coffee, and a goodbye coffee. Crazy, right? It makes it sound like Macedonia is full of hyped-up people with twitchy eyes and really brown teeth.

I, however, am not much of a coffee drinker. I enjoy the occasional Starbucks (white mocha, hello!), but I never make any at home. And if I ever do have plain coffee... I add a whole lot of sweet stuff. My goal for these 8 weeks at FPO: Become a coffee person. A real coffee person. Because, sure, I could just carry around my own French vanilla creamer and inconspicuously add it to my mug, but I think the Macedonians might notice when their coffee is black and mine is... brownish-beige. So allow me to share my coffee-darkening strategy with you.

Stage 1: (Completed.) During the first week of FPO, drink coffee during the first session each morning, adding as much creamer as necessary to make the coffee delicious. (6 little creamer cups--4 cinnamon and 2 French vanilla. Delectable! I should be a barista.)

Stage 2: (In progress.) During week two of FPO, decrease the number of creamer cups used in coffee by one. (Still delicious.)

Stage 3: (Daunting.) Each week, continue to decrease the number of creamers used by one until I am using only one creamer.

Stage 4: Final week--add no creamers to coffee... but compensate with sugar packets.

So there you have it--my plan to accomplish my goal of becoming a grown-up coffee drinker. The next time you see me, I will likely have developed coffee-stained teeth and a caffeine addiction. This seems backwards.

1 comments:

ginnafay said...

I will probably walk to your room to tell you this as soon as I post it, but I will post it anyway... you could try drinking coffee that isn't so strong or burnt tasting. (No offense to the wonderful coffee makers here on The Ranch, but it is super bitter.) I have some delectable Papua New Guinea coffee. Feel free to have some at any time :).

Post a Comment